Where has the time gone? It certainly feels like the 2016/2017 academic year has flown by.
The Student Enterprise Programme had a busy year delivering a range of workshops, events and opportunities to students interested in developing their ideas and entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial skills. The academic year concluded with the final ‘Lunch with a Leader’ which took place on Wednesday the 24th of May. For this lunch we thought it fitting to invite one of our leaders, Dr John Rogers, Director of Research & Innovation to share his insights into enterprise, innovation and leadership with May’s student winners.
Reflecting on the many activities that took place, the Student Enterprise Team would like to share a recap of some of the highlights of the Programme. Whilst there simply isn’t the time or space to recount all of the past year’s activities, here are a few of our favourites.
- At our stall during Stirling Students’ Union’s Fresher’s Week 2016 we loved speaking to new and returning students – thanks to everyone that dropped by.
- In October we were thrilled to welcome Hannah Grant from The Scottish Institute for Enterprise (SIE) to deliver the ‘Let’s Talk Planning’ session, where we learned how to use the Business Model Canvas
- Learning about the various competitions and resources available to students was incredibly useful at our Competitions Information Session with student enterprise support agencies, Sporting Chance Initiative, Enterprise Campus, Converge Challenge and SIE.
- We got a big dose of inspiration in November at our discussion panel, ‘Why Not Now’ where we heard about the enterprising journeys of award-winning entrepreneurs, Michael Harkins from Turtle Pack and Robbie Norval from Lingo Flamingo at the University of Stirling Innovation Park on campus.
We were thoroughly impressed to see all of the brave participants give pitching a go at the ‘Let’s Talk Pitching’ session delivered by Heather Asiala from Enterprise Campus.
- In December we learned how to stay in the black when Roy Hogg of Campbell Dallas Chartered Accountants brought all things finance to life at ‘Let’s Talk Numbers’.
- It was informative and inspiring to kick off the spring semester with a benevolent bang with ‘Let’s Talk Social Enterprise’, delivered by Colin McMillan from First Port with Veronica Ferguson from Converge Challenge.
Excitement peaked at the Entrepreneurial Quest, the University’s annual student ideas competition and feeder into the Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards, which took place in March. The judges had their work cut out for them this year as they saw an impressive lot of enterprising students with promising ideas.
- The online social media strategy and best practice we learned from Research & Innovation Services’ own Dr Fiona Millar during the ‘Let’s Talk Social Media’ session was incredibly useful.
- This spring we were delighted to share new developments to the student enterprise incubator. University of Stirling students can now apply for incubator space in the University of Stirling Innovation Park by applying throughout the year for an initial 3 month period.
- Finally, with generous support from the Vice-Chancellor’s Fund 2016, we ran eight ‘Lunch with a Leader’ lunches between September 2016 and May 2017. We were delighted to receive overwhelming positive feedback from the students and leaders who participated in this exciting new initiative.
Although the Student Enterprise Programme’s events and workshops are done for 2016/17, the team will be actively planning next year’s schedule of activities throughout the summer – so watch this space for updates. Wondering what to expect from our 2017/2018 programme? We are pleased to share that all of our upcoming sessions will have something new and exciting to offer, ensuring that there is plenty of value for both new and returning student participants.
Looking to develop your idea or start-up over the summer and needing some support? Fear not, the Student Enterprise team will be available throughout the summer to address your questions. In addition, our Student Enterprise Manager, Alasdair Gammack will be here to meet with students one-to-one throughout the summer months to provide mentorship and business advice. To get in touch with us and/or to schedule your one-to-one appointment, just email: email@example.com.
Until the next academic year, thank you and have a great summer!